Low FODMAP summer smoothies in a glass

2x low FODMAP summer smoothie

A summer smoothie is a breakfast that I make way too little. Every time I make a smoothie I think, oh I should do this more often! And then I forget about it again.

I also don’t have a lot of smoothie recipes on the blog yet, so I thought it was about time to share two new smoothie recipes with you. I made two times a low FODMAP summer smoothie!

How to make a low FODMAP smoothie

Making low FODMAP smoothies can be quite challenging. Mainly because quite a lot of fruits and vegetables are limited low FODMAP. That makes it difficult to combine different kinds of fruit and vegetables together.

Next to that it is often advised to eat a maximum of 150 gram of fruit per serving because a large amount of fruit at once can cause symptoms for people with IBS.

A smoothie quickly contains more than 150 gram of fruit. Therefore it is not so easy to make a low FODMAP smoothie. But luckily it is possible!

A green low FODMAP smoothie and another smoothie behind it

Creating a low FODMAP smoothie

I like to create my low FODMAP smoothies as follows:

  • 200 ml low FODMAP milk, such as almond milk, rice milk and lactose-free cows milk
  • 2-3 kinds of fruit*
  • 1 green vegetable, such as kale or spinach
  • Optional additions, such as flaxseed or cacao powder

*Where I make sure that I use a maximum of 150 gram fruit and the kinds of fruit together don’t contain too much of the same FODMAP group.

The fruit in these smoothies

The tropical smoothie contains passionfruit and pineapple. These kind of fruits are both limited low FODMAP and contain the FODMAP group fructans.

Pineapple contains an average amount of fructans at 200 gram. I would use a maximum of 180 gram per serving for a safe serving size.

Passion fruit contains an average amount of fructans at 100 gram. I would use a maximum of 80 gram per serving for a safe serving size.

In this recipe I use 75 gram of pineapple. This is 75/180 = 42% of the maximum amount. I use 40 gram passionfruit. This is 40/80 = 50% of the maximum amount. In total this is 92% of the maximum amount of fructans. Because this is less than 100%, this is a safe amount of fructans.

The tropical smoothie also contains some strawberry. Strawberries are limited low FODMAP up to 65 gram per serving and contain fructose. This smoothie contains only a few strawberries.

Do you want to know more about how combining foods from the same or different FODMAP groups works? Then check out my blog about FODMAP stacking.

A low FODMAP fruit smoothie in a glass

Other additions

Do you like to have your smoothies a bit sweeter? Then you can add a tablespoon of maple syrup if you like. For the tropical smoothie I think this is not necessary because it is quite sweet already. The berry smoothie is a bit less sweet.

I like my smoothies not too sweet, but if you would like your smoothie to be a bit sweeter, you can add a sweetener to the berry smoothie. Safe low FODMAP sweeteners are for example maple syrup or rice syrup.

Looking for more smoothie recipes?

Are you looking for more low FODMAP smoothie recipes? Then check out these recipes as well:

Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP summer smoothie? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen. 

clock clock iconcutlery cutlery iconflag flag iconfolder folder iconinstagram instagram iconpinterest pinterest iconfacebook facebook iconprint print iconsquares squares iconheart heart iconheart solid heart solid icon
Low FODMAP summer smoothies in a glass

Low FODMAP berry smoothie & low FODMAP tropical smoothie

5 Stars 4 Stars 3 Stars 2 Stars 1 Star

5 from 1 review

  • Author: Karlijn


Two delicious low FODMAP summer smoothies. A low FODMAP tropical smoothie and a berry smoothie. Lactose-free, vegan and gluten-free. 



Low FODMAP berry smoothie

  • 200 ml almond milk (or another kind of low FODMAP milk)
  • 65 g frozen strawberries
  • 40 g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 50 g kale (fresh or frozen)
  • Optional: 5 g flaxseed

Low FODMAP tropical smoothie

  • 200 ml almond milk (or another kind of low FODMAP milk)
  • 40 g frozen passionfruit
  • 75 g frozen pineapple
  • 25 g frozen strawberries
  • 50 g spinach (fresh or frozen)


  1. Put all ingredients together in a blender and blend until you have a smooth smoothie. Serve immediately 🙂
Gearchiveerd onder:

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe rating 5 Stars 4 Stars 3 Stars 2 Stars 1 Star