Low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup
When I was looking around on Pinterest a while ago, I came across a soup that I had never heard of before: stuffed pepper soup. I was looking for bell pepper soups and I almost only saw recipes for stuffed pepper soup. Apparently a big hit on Pinterest that I have missed, here in the Netherlands I have never seen it before.
Ingredients that you usually put in a stuffed pepper, such as rice, minced meat, canned tomatoes and of course bell pepper, but then in a soup. I thought it was a really nice idea. It takes a little less time to make than stuffed peppers, but it tastes just as good.
I thought, I want to eat this too, so I created a low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup. A delicious filling soup that can be eaten as a proper meal. And it is ready in just a little more than half an hour.
The ingredients of this stuffed pepper soup
The ingredients of this soup are simple:
- Rice: I used brown rice, for some extra fiber
- Minced meat: I used lean minced meat. You can also use a low FODMAP vegetarian mince if you want to make this soup vegetarian. I like Quorn vegetarian mince.
- Green bell peppers (or red, check note below): no stuffed pepper soup without peppers of course!*
- A can of diced tomatoes
- Extra vegetables: would you like some more veggies in the soup? Then you can add some other low FODMAP vegetables that you like. For example: canned corn (max. 75 gram per serving), canned mushrooms or pieces of carrot.
- Topping: nothing better than some toppings on your soup. I used some slices of jalapeño pepper, fresh cilantro and some grated cheese. You could also add some lactose-free sour cream as a topping.
*Note: in 2022, the low FODMAP amounts for tomato and red bell pepper have been changed. Both are high in fructose at a certain amount and therefore cannot be combined so easily anymore. You can adapt this recipe to still be low FODMAP if you use green bell pepper instead of red.
If you are not in the elimination phase anymore and you know that you tolerate fructose well, you can continue to use red bell peppers in this recipe.
Low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup
- Total Time: 30 min
- Servings: 4 min 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup: all ingredients for stuffed peppers, but then in a soup. A filling meal soup! Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 400 g (14 oz) lean minced meat
- 2 green (or red, see notes below recipe) bell peppers*
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
- 400 – 500 ml (2 cups) stock made with a low FODMAP stock cube / powder
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 200 g (7 oz) brown rice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Optional: grated cheese
- Optional: fresh cilantro or parsley
- Optional: extra jalapeño pepper for topping
- Cut the bell peppers in small pieces and the jalapeño pepper in rings.
- Heat a pan and fry the minced meat until brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bell pepper and jalapeñ0 and fry for 3-4 minutes until they soften.
- Heat some oil in a soup pan. Add the minced meat, bell peppers and jalapeño to the pan. Add the stock, canned tomatoes and spices too. Stir through.
- Boil the soup for 15-20 minutes.
- Bring another pan with water to boil and boil the rice according to the instructions.
- Drain the rice and add to the soup. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with toppings of your choice, such as some grated cheese, fresh cilantro or parsley and slices of jalapeño pepper.
*In 2022, the low FODMAP amounts for tomato and red bell pepper have been changed. Both are high in fructose at a certain amount and therefore cannot be combined so easily anymore. You can adapt this recipe to still be low FODMAP if you use green bell pepper instead of red. If you are not in the elimination phase anymore and you know that you tolerate fructose well, you can continue to use red bell peppers in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 43
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 25
Keywords: low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup, stuffed pepper soup, soup
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
your site is awesome! I have learned so much!!! Thanks u so much