Low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup
When I was looking around on Pinterest a while ago, I came across a soup that I had never heard of before: stuffed pepper soup. I was looking for bell pepper soups and I almost only saw recipes for stuffed pepper soup. Apparently a big hit on Pinterest that I have missed, here in the Netherlands I have never seen it before.
Ingredients that you usually put in a stuffed pepper, such as rice, minced meat, canned tomatoes and of course bell pepper, but then in a soup. I thought it was a really nice idea. It takes a little less time to make than stuffed peppers, but it tastes just as good.
I thought, I want to eat this too, so I created a low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup. A delicious filling soup that can be eaten as a proper meal. And it is ready in just a little more than half an hour.
The ingredients of this stuffed pepper soup
The ingredients of this soup are simple:
- Rice: I used brown rice, for some extra fiber
- Minced meat: I used lean minced meat. You can also use a low FODMAP vegetarian mince if you want to make this soup vegetarian. I like Quorn vegetarian mince.
- Red bell peppers: no stuffed pepper soup without peppers of course!
- A can of diced tomatoes
- Extra vegetables: would you like some more veggies in the soup? Then you can add some other low FODMAP vegetables that you like. For example: canned corn (max. 75 gram per serving), canned mushrooms or pieces of carrot.
- Topping: nothing better than some toppings on your soup. I used some slices of jalapeño pepper, fresh cilantro and some grated cheese. You could also add some lactose-free sour cream as a topping.
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
Low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup: all ingredients for stuffed peppers, but then in a soup. A filling meal soup! Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 400 g (14 oz) lean minced meat
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
- 400 – 500 ml (2 cups) stock made with a low FODMAP stock cube / powder
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 200 g (7 oz) brown rice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Optional: grated cheese
- Optional: fresh cilantro or parsley
- Optional: extra jalapeño pepper for topping
- Cut the bell peppers in small pieces and the jalapeño pepper in rings.
- Heat a pan and fry the minced meat until brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the bell pepper and jalapeñ0 and fry for 3-4 minutes until they soften.
- Heat some oil in a soup pan. Add the minced meat, bell peppers and jalapeño to the pan. Add the stock, canned tomatoes and spices too. Stir through.
- Boil the soup for 15-20 minutes.
- Bring another pan with water to boil and boil the rice according to the instructions.
- Drain the rice and add to the soup. Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with toppings of your choice, such as some grated cheese, fresh cilantro or parsley and slices of jalapeño pepper.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 43
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 25
Keywords: low FODMAP stuffed pepper soup, stuffed pepper soup, soup
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!