Low FODMAP strawberry feta pasta salad
When it is warm, salads are my go-to. I love pasta salads on the go for lunch, as a light dinner or as a side dish for a picknick or BBQ. A pasta salad is super versatile in summer. And it is easy to make.
Today I have a recipe for an ultimate summer salad for you: low FODMAP strawberry feta pasta salad!
The ingredients of this pasta salad
The pasta salad only has a handful of ingredients:
- Gluten-free penne: I use Grand’Italia or Barilla gluten-free penne.
- Fresh strawberries
- Feta: instead of feta you can also use mozzarella, that also tastes great.
- Dressing: the dressing consists of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper and salt. I also serve the salad with fresh mint.
Which pasta can I use for a pasta salad?
You can use several kinds of pasta for this salad. In a pasta salad it is handy that the pasta keeps it shape and that the pastas are not too big.
Spaghetti is for example not handy for a pasta salad because it quickly sticks together, especially gluten-free spaghetti. Spaghetti is also not easy to eat in a salad.
My favourite pastas for a pasta salad are gluten-free penne, fusilli and macaroni.
Can I make the pasta salad in advance?
Because this pasta salad contains fresh strawberries I don’t advice to make it too far in advance. This salad is best when you make it a few hours before you serve the salad.
Gluten-free pasta also often gets a bit harder when you store it. Therefore it is more tasty if you make the pasta on the day that you serve it.
How long can I store the pasta salad?
For the same reasons that I have listed above, I would advise to eat the salad within 2 days. You can store the pasta salad in the fridge for 2 days in a closed box.
How many people does this salad serve?
If you serve this salad as a side dish, it servers about 6 to 8 persons. If you eat the salad for lunch, it is enough for 4 persons.
What is a lactose-free / vegan option for this salad?
This salad contains feta and is therefore not fully lactose-free. Feta is low in lactose. It doesn’t contain a lot of lactose and therefore it is low FODMAP. More information about lactose and the FODMAP diet can be found here.
If you have to eat strictly lactose-free or if you want to make this salad vegan, you could use a vegan feta replacement that is also low FODMAP. Here in the Netherlands we for example have Violife alternative for white cheese. You can also leave the feta out.
More pasta salads?
On Karlijn’s Kitchen, you can find several tasty low FODMAP pasta salad recipes. Check out these recipes too:
- Halloumi pasta salad
- BLT pasta salad
- Pasta pesto salad
- Greek pasta salad
- Pasta salad with smoked chicken and cottage cheese
A summer low FODMAP strawberry feta pasta salad! Perfect as a side dish for a BBQ, for lunch or light dinner. Gluten-free and low lactose.
- 250 g (8.8 oz) gluten-free penne
- 400 g (14.1 oz) cucumber
- 250 g (8.8 oz) fresh strawberries*
- 100 g (3.5 oz) feta
- 50 g (1.7 oz) lettuce
- 40 g (1.4 oz) pecans, chopped
- Some fresh mint for garnish
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Boil the penne according to the instructions on the package. Drain and put into the serving bowl to cool down a little.
- Wash the cucumber and strawberries. Remove the stem of the strawberries. Cut into quarters. Cut the cucumbers into cubes.
- Add the strawberries, cucumber and lettuce to the bowl. Crumble the feta on top.
- Mix all ingredients for the dressing together in a bowl. Chop the pecans and break the mint leaves into pieces. Add to the salad together with the dressing. Stir everything together. Store the pasta salad covered in the fridge until you serve it.
*Strawberries are low FODMAP up to 65 gram per serving. Therefore 1/4 of this recipe is the maximum low FODMAP serving.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: Salad
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/6 of the recipe)
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 8
Keywords: vegetarian pasta salad, strawberry pasta salad, gluten-free pasta salad, feta pasta salad, low FODMAP pasta salad
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.