I am not done with sharing Spanish recipes yet (see my recipe for Spanish paella here)! Isn’t it wonderful to get into the holiday mood by making recipes from your holiday destination before you leave? This time, I am not sharing a meal, but a drink! I actually hardly share recipes for drinks with you, but I thought it would be fun to share a delicious summer drink on the blog. A recipe for low FODMAP sangria. The BEST on a terrace in the sun!
The ingredients of the low FODMAP sangria
One of the fruits that is usually added to Sangria is apple, but because I made a low FODMAP version, apple was a no-go. Therefore I only used oranges and lemon, but you can easily add some more low FODMAP fruits. Below I have listed the main ingredients for low FODMAP sangria, with variation tips and replacements:
- Red wine and preferably a Spanish wine of course. Sangria is the perfect drink to use some leftover wine in! Sangria is most commonly made with red wine, but you can also use a white wine or a rosé. That is great for variation!
- Brandy. Usually a splash of brandy is added to a traditional Spanish sangria. You can leave this out, but it is part of the recipe. If you don’t have brandy, you can also use cognac.
- Fruit. The main fruits in sangria are usually apple, orange and lemon, but you can vary with (low FODMAP) fruits. Fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, grapes and kiwis can also be delicious in a sangria.
- Sweetener. Usually a sweetener is added to the sangria to make it, surprise surprise, sweeter. Normally this is a sugar syrup made with white or brown sugar. I choose simple in this recipe and added maple syrup because I had this at home. If you don’t like sweet, you can also leave it out.
- Bubbles. You can choose to add some bubbles to your sangria. After you pour the sangria into a glass, you add a splash of sparkling water. I love it, but you can also drink it without bubbles.
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP sangria recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a reaction and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
A simple recipe for low FODMAP sangria! Quick and easy to make with only six ingredients. ✓ With variation tips ✓ Made in 10 minutes
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) brandy or cognac
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp maple syrup*
- Optional: sparkling water
- Juice one orange and cut the other one into cubes. Cut the lemon into cubes too.
- Put the wine, brandy, orange juice, cinnamon stick and the diced orange and lemon into a large pitcher. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add the maple syrup. Add more or less according to taste.
- Cover and put into the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Preferably a little longer, so the flavours will come out better.
- Serve the sangria over ice cubes and add a splash of sparkling water to each glass if preferred.
*If you don’t have maple syrup, you can also make sugar syrup. Take an equal amount of water and sugar (brown or white) and heat this in a pan on low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add 3 tbsp of the sugar syrup to the sangria.
- Prep Time: 10 min + 30 min waiting
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!