I love Spanish cuisine! Salmorejo is a dish I tried in Cordoba and I loved it. It is similar to gazpacho, but slightly different. I made low FODMAP salmorejo!
Salmorejo is an ideal dish to serve as an appetizer at dinner or as a side dish for breakfast or brunch. It may take some getting used to eating cold soup. But the taste of this dish is delicious.
What is salmorejo?
Salmorejo is a cold Spanish soup from the region of Andalusia. The ingredients of the soup are super simple. Salmorejo is made from tomatoes, white bread, olive oil, garlic and a little vinegar.
Of course I left out the garlic to make a low FODMAP recipe. And I replaced the white bread for gluten-free white bread.
I used Schär Meisterbäckers white bread myself, but you can also use other gluten-free white bread that is also low FODMAP.
Serve the soup with a boiled egg and some Serrano ham or bacon.
Great as a starter
This dish is fun to make as an appetizer at dinner! For example if you are going to make delicious low FODMAP paella. Then you stay in the Spanish vibe with salmorejo as a starter.
You can literally make it in 15 minutes.
Can I make this soup vegetarian or vegan?
Yes, that’s possible! You only need to omit the toppings. Omit the serrano ham to make a vegetarian salmorejo and omit the egg to make the salmorejo vegan as well.
How long can I store the soup?
You can store the soup in a closed box in the fridge for three days.
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP salmorejo? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
A delicious Spanish dish: low FODMAP salmorejo! A yummy cold starter. Simple and easy to make. Gluten-free and lactose-free. With vega and vegan option.
- 1 kilo (35.3 oz) vine tomatoes
- 200 g (7 oz) white bread (I use Schär Meisterbäckers classic)
- 50 ml (1.7 oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 hardboiled eggs*
- 60 g (2.1 oz) serranoham or bacon, cut into cubes*
- Boil two eggs hard (8 to 10 min). Drain and set aside to cool down.
- Cut an X into the bottom of each tomato. Put the tomatoes into a pan with boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Drain and leave the tomatoes to cool down. Then you can easily remove the skin.
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes. Put them into a bowl and use an (immersion) blender to turn them into a puree.
- Tear the bread into small pieces and add to the bowl. Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, pepper and salt. Blend into a smooth soup.
- Taste the soup and add extra pepper, salt and olive oil to taste.
- The soup tastes best when it is cooled. So put it into the fridge for at least one hour before you serve the soup.
- Cut the Serrano ham into cubes and cut the eggs into pieces.
- Divide the soup over four bowls and garnish each bowl with half of a boiled egg and some Serrano ham.
*Leave these toppings out to make this dish vegan. Leave out the Serrano ham to make this dish vegetarian.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: Starter
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 11
Keywords: low FODMAP salmorejo, gluten-free salmorejo, lactose-free salmorejo, cold soup, Spanish salmorejo
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!