A low FODMAP salmon spinach quiche! A super simple filling, but só só tasty. Perfect for a brunch or picknick. Gluten-free and low lactose.
The recipe for the crust is from The Loopy Whisk
For the crust
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) cold water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 150 g (1 1/4 cup) gluten-free flour (I used Schär Mix C)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- A pinch of salt
- 100 g (7/8 stick) cold butter, in cubes
- A 22 cm (8.75 inch) quiche pan
For the filling
- (Garlic-infused) olive oil
- 400 g (14 oz) fresh spinach
- Two stalks of spring onion, the green part
- 4 eggs
- 200 g (7/8 cup) crème fraîche
- 200 g (7 oz) smoked salmon
- Pepper and salt
- 75 g (3/4 cup) grated cheese
- Mix the cold water with the apple cider vinegar and put this into the freezer until you need it.
- Sieve the gluten-free flour with the xanthan gum and the salt in a bowl.
- Add the cubes of butter and knead this with your fingers until you have fine crumbles.
- Add the cold water-vinegar mixture. Add a tablespoon at a time and mix the dough with a for until it starts to stick together. You need about 6-8 tablespoons.
- Form the dough into a disk and wrap it in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 F).
- Roll out the dough until it is about 2-3 mm thin and larger than the pie tin in diameter, about 28-30 cm (11-12 inches).
- Carefully lift up the pie crust and lay it over the baking tin. Carefully press it into the tin. Remove any pastry that is sticking over the edge.
- Refrigerate the pie crust for another 15 minutes.
- Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F)
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the spinach until softened.
- Cut the spring onion into rings and add to the spinach. Season with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
- Cut the salmon into pieces.
- Whisk the eggs together with the crème fraîche. Stir in the spinach and smoked salmon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture over the crust and sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Bake the quiche in the oven for 40-50 minutes. Keep an eye on the quiche while baking. If the filling gets too dark, you can cover the quiche with aluminium foil.
- Prep Time: 45 min + 1 hour 15 min waiting time
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4th)
- Calories: 658
- Fat: 49
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 22
Keywords: low FODMAP quiche, gluten-free quiche, salmon and spinach quiche, quiche with salmon and spinach