Low FODMAP rice pie with cream and red fruits
In my supermarket in the Netherlands, I found a package mix to make a rice bottom. A gluten-free cake bottom made of cooked rice that you could top with whipped cream and fresh fruit, to make a simple rice pie.
I was super excited about this simple idea to make a pie, but when I checked the package I noticed that the mix only contained dessert rice. This simply is short grain white rice that we use to make rice pudding.
The price of this package for “rice bottom” was almost double the price of a normal package of dessert rice, so I decided to use the recipe from the package, but make it with cheap dessert rice, that I still had in my pantry, instead.
The result was wonderful! With the recipe, I made a tasty low FODMAP rice pie topped with whipped cream and red fruit.
A quick way to make a gluten-free rice pie (by the way, you can also find a recipe for a traditional gluten-free Dutch rice pudding pie here).
I served the pie to my family and everybody loved it. This pie is super simple to whip up, so it is great for when you get unexpected guests and have some dessert rice in your pantry!Print
Low FODMAP rice pie with whipped cream and red fruits. A very simple and delicious way to make a rice pie. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
For the bottom
- 100 g dessert rice (short grain white rice)
- 500 ml lactose-free milk
- 1 egg
- 40 g sugar
For the topping
- 125 ml lactose-free quark or thick low-fat yoghurt
- 250 ml lactose-free whip cream (make sure it is cooled well before whipping)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 8 g vanilla sugar
- Strawberries and raspberries
- Dark chocolate
- An 18 cm cake tin (7 inches)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F).
- Put the milk in a small pan, together with the egg and the sugar. Whisk until everything is mixed. Then add the rice.
- Turn on the heat and boil the mixture for about 14 minutes, while you keep stirring continuously. Leave the mixture to cool for 5 minutes.
- Layer the cake tin with baking parchment and grease the sides.
- Pour the rice mixture into the cake tin and smoothen the top. Bake the rice bottom in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Leave the bottom to cool down completely before putting the topping on.
- Beat the whipped cream with 2 tbsp of sugar until stiff. Scoop the lactose-free quark or yoghurt into it, add the vanilla sugar and stir together.
- Divide the cream mixture over the rice bottom. Garnish with strawberries and raspberries (or other low FODMAP fruit that you like) and grate some dark chocolate over the top.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.