Delicious low FODMAP rendang from the slow cooker. Without garlic and onion, but full of flavour. Also possible to make without a slow cooker. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 1 kilogram (35 oz) blade steak
- 200 ml (3/4 cup + 1 tbsp) coconut milk
- 1 chilipepper (seeds removed)
- 2 tsp ground cilantro (ketoembar)
- 2 tsp ground cumin (djinten)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 tsp ground galangal root (laos)
- 2 sp tamarind paste*
- 1/2 tsp Sambal Oelek (chili paste)
- 1 tsp trassi (shrimp paste)*
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 stalks of spring onion, the green part
- 2 pieces of star anise
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 lemon leaves (djeroek poeroet)
- 1 stalk of lemon grass (sereh)
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- Cut the meat into cubes.
- Remove the seeds from the chilli pepper and cut it into small pieces.
- Put for the spices mix the chill pepper, cilantro, cumin, fresh ginger, galangal root, tamarind paste, Sambal Oelek, trassi, brown sugar and spring onion (in pieces) in a food processor. Add a splash of water if this is necessary to mix it into a paste.
- Heat some garlic-infused olive oil in a pan and fry the meat for a few minutes until it has browned on all sides.
- Put the meat into the slow cooker.
- Fry the spices mix in the same pan for a few minutes. Then add it to the slow cooker.
- Crush the stalk of lemon grass with the side of a large knife.
- Add the coconut milk, star anise, bay and lemon leaves and lemon grass to the slow cooker. Stir everything together with a spatula.
- Cook the rendang for 8 hours on the low setting.
- Taste the rendang after 8 hours. Add pepper and salt to taste if necessary.
- Remove the bay leaves, lemon leaves, star anise and lemon grass from the rendang. Serve the rendang with for example green beans, rice and/or fries.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: Indonesian
Keywords: low FODMAP rendang, gluten-free rendang, lactose-free rendang, rendang from the slow cooker