A quick low FODMAP red curry! With chicken, coconut milk and oyster mushrooms. On the table within 30 minutes. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
For the red curry paste
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cilantro / parsley (if you don’t like cilantro)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 red pepper, seeds scraped out
- 2 spring onions, only the green part
- 1/4th of a green bell pepper (you will use the rest in the curry)*
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olie oil
For the red curry
- 400 g chicken thigh, in pieces
- 1 can of coconut milk (400 ml)**
- 320 g white rice
- 300 g broccoli
- 200 g oyster mushrooms
- 3/4th of a green bell pepper*
- Bring a pan with water to boil.
- Put all ingredients for the curry paste into a bowl and mix them into a paste with an immersion blender.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and shortly fry the curry paste.
- Add the pieces of chicken thigh and fry until they are cooked on all sides.
- Put the broccoli together with the rice in the pan (I always put them together in one pan, that saves me some dishes). Cook the broccoli for about 5 minutes and the rice as long as is stated on the package.
- Clean the oyster mushrooms. Cut the oyster mushrooms and the red bell pepper into pieces and add them to the chicken.
- Take the broccoli out of the pan after 5 minutes with a heatproof spatula and add them to the chicken.
- Pour the coconut milk into the pan and stir everything together. Leave the sauce to simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes, so that the coconut milk can thicken. Taste and season the sauce with some salt and pepper if necessary.
- Drain the rice and divide over 4 plates. Scoop the red curry sauce on top.
*In these amounts (100 ml per serving) coconut milk contains a moderate amount of sorbitol. If you don’t tolerate sorbitol well or are still in the elimination phase, you should use a maximum of 240 ml coconut milk in this recipe. 60 ml per serving is a low FODMAP serving. You can create some more sauce by adding 160 ml of low FODMAP stock instead of the rest of the coconut milk.
**Bell pepper has been retested in 2022. Red bell pepper is low FODMAP up to 43 gram and green bell pepper is low FODMAP up to 75 gram per serving. If you are still in the elimination phase, I advise using green bell pepper in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: International