Low FODMAP pumpkin tomato soup
On days that it is cold and it is raining outside, there is nothing better than sitting on the couch under a blanket with a nice soup. I didn’t share a new soup recipe on the blog yet this fall. So I thought it was time to make a large pan of soup. I made a simple low FODMAP pumpkin tomato soup!
The ingredients of the soup
Pumpkin soup usually has quite a sweet flavour. That is very tasty, but I also love hearty soups. By adding tomato to pumpkin soup, the soup gets a really nice hearty flavour. The tomato really supplements the flavour of the pumpkin and it makes a delicious soup!
The ingredients of this soup are very easy:
- Pumpkin: the only soup that has been tested and is low FODMAP in large amounts* is the kabocha pumpkin (Google it to see how it looks). If you are still in the elimination or reintroduction phase, you can best use this pumpkin. I used the orange hokkaido pumpkin for this recipe, you see this pumpkin a lot in Dutch supermarkets. I have used this pumpkin for several years, without problems. Just like the muscat pumpkin. If you have passed the elimination phase, you can test different kinds of pumpkin to see how you react to it.
- Tomato and tomato paste
- Stock: I make stock with stock cubes. Make sure you pick stock that doesn’t contain any high FODMAP ingredients such as garlic or onion powder.
- Lactose-free crème fraîche or a plant-based cream: this is optional, but I used this for topping the soup. I love a little bit of cream in a soup. You can use lactose-free crème fraîche or if you rather keep the soup vegan, you can use a plant-based cream that is low FODMAP. I like using oat cuisine by Oatly.
*Spaghetti squash is also low FODMAP in larger amounts, but this is not suitable for a soup like this.
More pumpkin or soup recipes?
- Roasted pumpkin soup
- Spicy pumpkin noodle soup
- Pumpkin sweet potato soup
- 12 low FODMAP soups
- 10x recipes with pumpkin
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP pumpkin tomato soup? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
Fancy a nice soup? Try this low FODMAP pumpkin tomato soup! Only 5 ingredients. Gluten-free, lactose-free and vegan
- 1 kilo (35 oz) pumpkin, in cubes*
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 liter (4 cups) low FODMAP stock
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- Pepper and salt
- Optional: some lactose-free crème fraîche or a plant-based cream, such as Oatly oat cuisine
- Remove the skin of the tomatoes. I do this by cutting a cross in the bottom of each tomato and putting them into boiled water for a few minutes. After that you can peel the skin off easily.
- Cut the pumpkin into cubes and the tomatoes too.
- Heat some oil in a large pan and add the pumpkin, tomato and tomato paste. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil. Leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes until the pumpkin has completely softened.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Taste and season with pepper, salt and 1 tsp of ground paprika.
- Serve with a spoonful of lactose-free crème fraîche or a splash of plant-based cream.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories: 99
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 5
Keywords: low FODMAP pumpkin soup, pumpkin tomato soup, pumpkin soup
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!