I don’t often share basic recipes on the blog, although they are very useful to use in all kinds of recipes. That’s why I have a basic recipe for low FODMAP pesto for you today.
Unfortunately, there are very few ready-to-use pestos that are also low FODMAP. A few years ago I really liked the basil paste from the Santa Maria brand. That was sold here in the Netherlands.
It was perfect to use as a pesto, but unfortunately it has been removed from the supermarkets.
This blogpost contains affiliate links. Read more about what affiliate links are and why I use them.
How to make pesto low FODMAP?
Making pesto low FODMAP is super simple. The only thing you really need to leave out is garlic. Basil, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice and parmesan cheese are all low FODMAP.
Parmesan cheese is a hard cheese and therefore contains almost no lactose. You can read more about cheese and the low FODMAP diet on this page.
To give the pesto a bit of garlic flavour, you can use an olive oil with garlic aroma. This olive oil for example.
Recipes to use this pesto in:
Looking for tasty recipes to use this pesto in? Then check out these recipes:
- Pasta pesto salad with tomatoes and goat cheese
- BLT pasta salad
- Stuffed pork tenderloin with pesto
- Burrata salad with tomatoes and pesto
- Pasta pesto with carpaccio
- Baked gnocchi with pesto
- Carpaccio with pesto dressing
- Pasta pesto with chicken
- Pasta pesto casserole
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP pesto? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
A basic recipe for low FODMAP pesto! Simple and quick to make. With only 5 ingredients. Gluten-free and low lactose.
- 30 g (4.5 tbsp) pine nuts
- 40 g (1/2 cup) parmesan cheese
- 3 handfuls of basil (approx. 2/3 basil plant)
- 4 tbsp olive oil (optional to use garlic-infused olive oil)
- Pepper and salt
- A splash of lemon juice
- Toast the pine nuts for a few minutes in a pan without fat. Shake well to stop the pine nuts from burning.
- Place the pine nuts together with the parmesan and basil in a plastic cup.
- Blend with an immersion blender or with a mortar and pestle.
- Add 3 tbsp olive oil, pepper, salt and a dash of lemon juice and mix until you have a pesto.
- If the pesto is still too thick, add a little extra olive oil.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Sauces and spreads
- Method: Blending
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 portie (1/6 of the recipe)
- Calories: 141
- Fat: 14
- Carbohydrates: 1
- Fiber: 0.5
- Protein: 4
Keywords: low FODMAP pesto, gluten-free pesto, pesto basic recipe