It was Sunday and I felt like having a traditional Italian pasta. Not just a spaghetti bolognese because that one is on the menu regularly here, but something different. When searching online, I found a list by Martha Stewart with classic Italian pasta recipes everyone should know how to make. I already made a few of them in a low FODMAP version, such as the spaghetti carbonara, spaghetti bolognese and lasagna, but several I had never made of even heard of. There was one pasta that caught my attention instantly: pasta puttanesca. A pasta with only low FODMAP ingredients, so I thought making a low FODMAP pasta puttanesca wouldn’t be too difficult.
Pasta puttanesca has a few ingredients that not everybody may like. It is a pasta with a basis of tomatoes / tomato sauce, anchovies, olives and capers. My boyfriend’s first reaction was: no way I am going to eat that, so I had it all for myself, haha. I love these little salty anchovies and I also love myself some olives in my pasta. It is a super flavourful pasta and because of the main ingredients it hardly needs any spices. For me, this low FODMAP pasta puttanesca is definitely a keeper. I love it!
Will you let me know if you make my low FODMAP pasta puttanesca? I would love it if you would share your creations with me using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen on Instagram or by tagging me at @karlijnskitchen.
Low FODMAP pasta puttanesca! An Italian classic. Pasta with anchovy and capers
- 160 g gluten-free spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil or low FODMAP garlic-infused olive oil
- 200 g peeled tomatoes (canned)
- 100 g cherry tomatoes
- 80 g canned anchovies*
- 60 g black olives, pitted
- 1 tbsp capers
- Fresh basil or parsley
- Pepper and salt
- Grated (parmesan) cheese
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. You can also make your own low FODMAP garlic-infused oil by adding a clove of garlic to the oil when it is hot. Fry the garlic for 1-2 minutes and remove it from the oil. Use the oil in the recipe.
- Cut the olives in half or in slices. Add them together with the anchovies and the capers to the oil. Fry this for two minutes.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and chop the peeled tomatoes smaller too. Add to the pan. Heat until the sauce starts to simmer.
- Drain the spaghetti and save a bit of the cooking water. Stir the spaghetti into the sauce. Add a bit of the cooking water if necessary and leave the pasta sauce to simmer for a few more minutes.
- Chop the basil or parsley and add to the sauce. Officially parsley is used in this recipe, but I chose basil because I like it better. Taste and season with salt and pepper (you won’t need a lot of salt because of the salty ingredients in the pasta).
- Divide the pasta over two plates. Serve with grated (parmesan) cheese to taste.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!