Low FODMAP Muhammara
After my successful experiment to make a low FODMAP roasted red pepper dip, I have a delicious variation on this recipe for you today. Low FODMAP muhammara!
I saw it coming by on Pinterest several times and it sounded delicious, so I decided to make a low FODMAP version of it. Muhammara is a roasted red pepper dip from Syria with walnuts and pomegranate syrup.
Different from the normal roasted red pepper dip because it has a very unique flavour, but just as good as a party snack or as a low FODMAP sandwich topping. You should really try this!Print
A delicious walnut roasted red pepper dip from Syria: low FODMAP muhammara. Delicious as a party snack or on a sandwich! Gluten-free, lactose-free, vegan.
- 3 roasted red peppers (I used peppers from a jar, check the ingredients for FODMAPs)*
- 75 g walnuts
- 1.5 tbsp pomegranate syrup (this is sold in Turkish supermarkets)
- 3 tbsp oat flour (or ground oatmeal)
- 1 tsp cumin
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pepper and salt
- A splash of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Put all ingredients together in a bowl and mix it with a food processor or hand blender into a smooth mixture.
- If you think the spread is too thin, add some extra oats. If it is too thick, add some extra olive oil or lemon juice.
*Note: bell pepper was retested in 2022 and it is now limited low FODMAP. Red bell pepper is low FODMAP up to 43 grams per serving. If you are still in the elimination phase or know that you react to fructose, I recommend eating a maximum of 40 grams of muhamarra per serving.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Spreads & sauces
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.