Low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers! Delicious bell peppers filled with chicken minced meat, tomato, cheese and toppings of your choice.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 200 g (7 oz) chicken minced meat
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 200 g (7 oz) canned diced tomatoes
- 100 g (3.5 oz) brown rice
- 50 g (1.8 oz) grated cheese (I used low fat cheese)
- 1/4 avocado*
- Lactose-free crème fraîche
- Optional: fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F)
- Boil the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Cut the bell peppers in half and deseed. Put the bell peppers in an oven dish with the open side up.
- Heat a pan and fry the chicken minced meat until it is done. Add all spices and the canned tomatoes and stir together. Heat for two more minutes and stir in the cheese.
- Drain the rice and stir this into the chicken mixture. Divide the mixture over the bell peppers.
- Pour a small layer of water in the oven dish. Bake the bell peppers in the oven for 30-35 minutes until softened.
- Take the bell peppers from the oven and top them with some avocado*, lactose-free crème fraîche and some fresh cilantro if you like.
This recipe is not suitable for the elimination phase. Bell pepper and tomato has been retested in 2022 and both are limited low FODMAP now. If you are still in the elimination phase I don’t advise making this recipe. If you know you tolerate fructose well and tomatoes and bell peppers don’t give you issues, you can make this recipe.
*Avocado is low FODMAP up to 1/8 avocado per serving. If you tolerate sorbitol well, you can use a little more.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Diner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 half peppers including lactose-free creme fraiche
- Calories: 601
- Fat: 27
- Carbohydrates: 49
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 36
Keywords: low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers, stuffed peppers, Mexican stuffed peppers