Deze blog bevat affiliatelinks. Lees hier meer over wat affiliatelinks zijn en waarom ik ze gebruik.
Low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers
This recipe is not suitable for the elimination phase*
A few years ago, I was eating stuffed peppers on a weekly basis. It was simple, healthy and just comfort food, so I loved it. Then it just got out of my routine and now I haven’t eaten them for a long time. Do you recognise that?
I go through these cycles with food all the time. I recently remembered how fond I was of stuffed peppers and that’s why I made these low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers. And yes, now I want to make them every week again! It is just so good.
*Bell pepper and tomato has been retested in 2022 and both are limited low FODMAP now. If you are still in the elimination phase I don’t advise making this recipe. If you know you tolerate fructose well and tomatoes and bell peppers don’t give you issues, you can make this recipe.
I choose to fill the Mexican stuffed peppers with the following ingredients
- Chicken minced meat: I really like the flavour of chicken minced meat in these stuffed peppers, but you can also use ground beef.
- Spices: I use the following mix of spices: ground cumin, ground paprika, salt, pepper and ground chilli. If you don’t like spicy, just use a pinch of ground chilli. If you want to make the dish more spicy, you can use a little more. Add to taste.
- Diced tomatoes: the diced tomatoes make the filling saucy and yummy. Diced tomatoes are limited low FODMAP. If you stick to max. 100 g / 3.5 0z per serving, you stay within the safe serving size.
- Brown rice: I like using brown rice because it contains more fiber, but you can use any kind of rice you like.
- Grated cheese: no explanation necessary for the cheese right? Cheese makes everything better, if you ask me! I used low fat Gouda cheese, but you can use any grated cheese you prefer.
- Toppings: after they came out of the oven, I topped my low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers with fresh cilantro, some mashed avocado and lactose-free crème fraîche (I prefer sour cream, but here in the Netherlands we only have lactose-free crème fraîche available).
Avocado is low FODMAP at 1/8 avocado per serving. I tolerate avocado well, so I use a little more.
Low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers
- Total Time: 45 min
- Servings: 2 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers! Delicious bell peppers filled with chicken minced meat, tomato, cheese and toppings of your choice.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 200 g (7 oz) chicken minced meat
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 200 g (7 oz) canned diced tomatoes
- 100 g (3.5 oz) brown rice
- 50 g (1.8 oz) grated cheese (I used low fat cheese)
- 1/4 avocado*
- Lactose-free crème fraîche
- Optional: fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F)
- Boil the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Cut the bell peppers in half and deseed. Put the bell peppers in an oven dish with the open side up.
- Heat a pan and fry the chicken minced meat until it is done. Add all spices and the canned tomatoes and stir together. Heat for two more minutes and stir in the cheese.
- Drain the rice and stir this into the chicken mixture. Divide the mixture over the bell peppers.
- Pour a small layer of water in the oven dish. Bake the bell peppers in the oven for 30-35 minutes until softened.
- Take the bell peppers from the oven and top them with some avocado*, lactose-free crème fraîche and some fresh cilantro if you like.
This recipe is not suitable for the elimination phase. Bell pepper and tomato has been retested in 2022 and both are limited low FODMAP now. If you are still in the elimination phase I don’t advise making this recipe. If you know you tolerate fructose well and tomatoes and bell peppers don’t give you issues, you can make this recipe.
*Avocado is low FODMAP up to 1/8 avocado per serving. If you tolerate sorbitol well, you can use a little more.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Diner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 half peppers including lactose-free creme fraiche
- Calories: 601
- Fat: 27
- Carbohydrates: 49
- Fiber: 9
- Protein: 36
Keywords: low FODMAP Mexican stuffed peppers, stuffed peppers, Mexican stuffed peppers
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Laat je het me weten als je dit recept gemaakt hebt? Ik zou het heel leuk vinden als je me laat weten wat je van het recept vindt door hieronder een reactie en een rating achter te laten. Je kunt ook je creaties met me delen op Instagram door de hashtag #karlijnskitchen te gebruiken of door mij te taggen via @karlijnskitchen.
It’s bizarre, the entire blog is in English, but the actual recipe is in GERMAN!!
I am sorry, something went wrong with the recipe card here. It is Dutch though, not German 😉