Low FODMAP Mexican quinoa salad with rice! A delicious healthy lunch or side dish with homemade tomato salsa. Gluten-free and lactose-free
- 120 g quinoa
- 120 g brown rice
- 1/2 low FODMAP stock cube
- Two handfuls of lettuce
- 400 g chicken breast
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pepper and salt
- 1/2 avocado*
- Homemade tomato salsa (see recipe below)
- Fresh cilantro
For the tomato salsa
- 3 roma tomatoes**
- Fresh cilantro
- Jalapeno pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp homemade garlic-infused oil
- A pinch of lime juice
- Optional: spring onion, only the green part
- Cut the the tomatoes in very small pieces and chop the cilantro. Put this into a bowl.
- Cut the red pepper in small pieces and add to to the tomatoes to taste (if you don’t like spicy, you can best only use a little bit).
- You can make your own garlic-infused oil by heating 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Add 1 clove of garlic when the oil is hot and fry for two minutes. Take the garlic from the pan and throw away. Use the oil for the salsa. You can also buy garlic-infused oil in the supermarket if you can find it.
- Add the olive oil and a splash of lime juice to the tomato mixture. Season with pepper and salt and some extra lime juice if necessary.
- You can make the tomato salsa a few hours beforehand and store it in the fridge, so the flavours can develop.
- Boil the quinoa and the rice according to the instructions on the package (I added half a stock cube for extra flavour) and drain. Leave to cool down.
- Cut the avocado into slices.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the chicken. Season with ground paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, pepper and salt.
- Mix the quinoa with the rice and divide over four plates. Divide the lettuce and the chicken over the plates. Put the slices of avocado on top. Finish with a scoop of tomato salsa and fresh cilantro.
*1/8 avocado per serving is low FODMAP. On the pictures you can see that I used a bit more. This is because I have tested avocado and know that I tolerate up to 1/2 avocado per serving.
**Tomatos have been retested in 2022 and are now limited low FODMAP. Roma tomatoes are low FODMAP in the largest amount, so I advise using that for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 25 mins