A delicious low FODMAP lemon cake with frosting. Just like the Starbucks cake! Tangy and fresh. Gluten-free and with lactose-free option.
For the cake
- 225 g (1 cup) softened butter (you can also use lactose-free butter or margarine)
- 225 g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) white sugar
- 275 g (2 cups) gluten-free flour
- 16 g (4 tsp) baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp lactose-free milk
- the grated rind of one lemon
- A 30 cm cake tin (loaf tin), about 12 inch (measured in the length, on the top of the tin)
For the topping
- 250 g (1 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 50 g (3.5 tbsp) softened butter (you can also replace this with lactose-free butter or margarine)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350F). Grease a cake tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Put all the ingredients (except for the ingredients for the topping) in a bowl and mix together until well blended. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and level the top using the back of a spatula.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 55-60 minutes. Keep an eye on the cake while baking, if the cake gets dark too quickly, you can cover it with some aluminum foil. Check if the cake is done after about 45 minutes (some oven bake quicker than others). The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Turn out and leave it to cool entirely on a wire rack.
- Make the topping by mixing the butter with the lemon juice. Add the powdered sugar little by little and mix it with a mixer into a smooth frosting. Be careful with mixing the powdered sugar, otherwise your entire kitchen will have a white layer 😉
- Spread the frosting on top of the cake and put the cake into the fridge for the frosting to set.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins