Low FODMAP lemon cake with frosting (gluten-free)
Lemon cakes always remind me of Starbucks. Starbucks always has this beautiful lemon cake with a thick layer of white frosting on their displays. I have never tried it because it isn’t suitable for the low FODMAP diet, but it always looked delicious to me. A few years ago, cakes with lemon seemed really unappealing to me, but since I made this recipe for lemon drizzle cake that has changed. I decided that I could try to change this recipe into a low FODMAP lemon cake with a delicious layer of tangy frosting and that worked out perfectly. On my birthday, I served this delicious cake twice and it was a success!
Because the lemon cake contains quite a lot of sugar and fat, I suggest eating only one slice at a time if you follow the low FODMAP diet. This recipe makes 10 slices.
Will you let me know if you make my recipe for low FODMAP lemon cake? I would love it if you would share your creations with me using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen on Instagram or by tagging me at @karlijnskitchenPrint
A delicious low FODMAP lemon cake with frosting. Just like the Starbucks cake! Tangy and fresh. Gluten-free and with lactose-free option.
For the cake
- 225 g (1 cup) softened butter (you can also use lactose-free butter or margarine)
- 225 g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) white sugar
- 275 g (2 cups) gluten-free flour
- 16 g (4 tsp) baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp lactose-free milk
- the grated rind of one lemon
- A 30 cm cake tin (loaf tin), about 12 inch (measured in the length, on the top of the tin)
For the topping
- 250 g (1 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 50 g (3.5 tbsp) softened butter (you can also replace this with lactose-free butter or margarine)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350F). Grease a cake tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Put all the ingredients (except for the ingredients for the topping) in a bowl and mix together until well blended. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and level the top using the back of a spatula.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 55-60 minutes. Keep an eye on the cake while baking, if the cake gets dark too quickly, you can cover it with some aluminum foil. Check if the cake is done after about 45 minutes (some oven bake quicker than others). The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Take the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Turn out and leave it to cool entirely on a wire rack.
- Make the topping by mixing the butter with the lemon juice. Add the powdered sugar little by little and mix it with a mixer into a smooth frosting. Be careful with mixing the powdered sugar, otherwise your entire kitchen will have a white layer 😉
- Spread the frosting on top of the cake and put the cake into the fridge for the frosting to set.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!