A classic recipe for kale mashed potatoes with bacon and oyster mushrooms. A low FODMAP variation on Dutch “boerenkool” ✓ Gluten-free
- 500 g (17.6 oz) potatoes (use higher starch potatoes, like Russets or Yukon Gold)
- 300 g (10.6 oz) kale
- 250 g (8.8 oz) oyster mushrooms
- 150 g (5.3 oz) bacon strips
- A splash of lactose-free milk
- 1 tsp low FODMAP mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
For the gravy
- 2 tbsp fat from the bacon or 25 g (0.88 oz) butter*
- 25 g (0.88 oz) gluten-free flour (I use Schär Mix It Universal)
- 500 ml (16.9 fl. oz.) stock (use a low FODMAP stock cube or powder)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Make sure you have approximately the same size quarters.
- Add these to the pan and add the kale to the pan as well. Let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean the oyster mushrooms and cut into pieces.
- Heat a pan and add the bacon to it. Fry for five minutes and then add the mushrooms. Bake for 5 minutes until golden brown. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Save the bacon fat for the gravy. Take 2 tbsp of the fat and put it in a separate pan or use 25 grams of butter.
- Add 25 grams of gluten-free flour and stir with a whisk until the flour is absorbed by the butter and it is a smooth mixture.
- Cook this for 2 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Now add a splash of broth. Gradually add stock until the gravy has the desired consistency. You probably don’t need all the stock. Taste and season with some pepper.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and kale and mash well.
- Add the splash of milk, mustard, pepper, salt and nutmeg.
- Divide over two plates. Make a hole in the middle of the mashed potatoes and pour some gravy in there.
- Serve the bacon mushroom mixture on top of the kale mashed potatoes.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Serving Size: 1 serving with gravy
- Calories: 589
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 68
- Fiber: 13
- Protein: 32
Keywords: low FODMAP kale mashed potatoes, kale mashed potatoes, gluten-free kale mashed potatoes, potato mash with kale