A simple recipe to make hoisin stir-fry sauce from scratch. This stir-fry sauce is low FODMAP, lactose-free and has a gluten-free option.
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tsp mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1/2 tsp 5-spices powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sambal (chili paste)(leave this out if you don’t like spicy)
- Put all ingredients together in a pan and bring to a boil, while stirring. Leave to boil on low heat for 10 minutes until you get a sticky sauce.
- Leave the sauce to cool down or use in a dish immediately.
Storage: I store this sauce for about a week in a closed jar. You could sterilize the jar, then you can store it for a longer time. I don’t have experience with this myself.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Spreads and sauces
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: hoisin sauce, low FODMAP stir-fry sauce, stir-fry sauce