Low FODMAP fruits
What fruits are low FODMAP and how much can you eat of these fruits? In this blog, I will give you a low FODMAP fruit list and explain how to enjoy fruit without stomach pain.
Fruits that are low FODMAP
Below you can see an overview of fruits that have a low FODMAP serving:
- Apple, pink lady: up to 20 grams*
- Apple, granny smith: up to 25 grams*
- Avocado: up to 30 grams
- Banana, firm: up to 100 grams
- Banana, ripe: up to 35 grams
- Blueberries: up to 500 grams
- Cantaloupe: up to 120 grams
- Coconut, fresh: up to 64 grams
- Cranberries, fresh: up to 90 grams
- Cumquats, unpeeled: up to 200 grams
- Dragon fruit: no upper limit
- Grapefruit: up to 80 grams
- Grapes: up to 30 grams (6 grapes)
- Guava: no upper limit
- Kiwi fruit, green: up to 240 grams (3 kiwis)
- Kiwi fruit, yellow: up to 150 grams (2 kiwis)
- Young jackfruit, canned: up to 500 grams
- Lemon juice: up to 125 grams
- Lime juice: up to 250 grams
- Lychee: up to 30 grams
- Mandarins: up to 90 grams (1 medium)
- Mango: up to 40 grams
- Melon, honeydew: up to 90 grams
- Orange: up to 130 grams (1 medium)
- Papaya: no upper limit
- Passion fruit: up to 60 grams
- Peach yellow: up to 30 grams
- Prickly pear: no upper limit
- Persimmon: up to 60 grams
- Pineapple, fresh: up to 140 grams
- Pineapple, canned in juice: up to 90 grams
- Pineapple, canned in syrup: up to 65 grams
- Plantain: no upper limit
- Pomegranate: up to 45 grams
- Raspberry: up to 58 grams
- Rhubarb: no upper limit
- Starfruit: no upper limit
- Strawberries: up to 65 grams
*These are the only kinds of apples that have been tested.
- Cranberries: up to 15 grams
- Currants or raisins: up to 13 grams
- Goji berries: up to 10 grams
Fruits that you should avoid
The following kinds of fruit have no low FODMAP serving size or the serving size is at or below 20 grams. So you can better avoid these fruits when you are still in the elimination phase of the diet:
- Apricots, fresh and dried
- Figs, fresh and dried
- Peach, clingstone
- Peach, white
Source: the information above is based on the Monash University FODMAP app. Last updated: January 6th, 2023.
There are a few types of fruit that you can enjoy in only a very small serving, such as apples. Granny smith apples are low FODMAP in a serving of 25 grams. Pink lady apples in a serving of 20 grams.
I enjoy apples in a small serving sometimes. For example, grating a little bit on top of my breakfast or using it in a cake.
Check out these two recipes with apples:
How much fruit can I eat per serving?
I would recommend eating around 100 to 150 grams of fruit per serving. And to eat such a serving a maximum of two times per day.
Because most fruits are low FODMAP in smaller servings, it is recommended to only eat one serving of fruit at a time and to leave 3 to 4 hours between each serving.
If you want to combine two kinds of fruits in a meal, it is important that you don’t stack FODMAPs. And I would recommend sticking to the serving size of a maximum of 150 grams per serving.
So in that case you can have two smaller servings of each fruit.
How to eat enough fruit on the low FODMAP diet?
Maybe you find it hard to get your servings of fruit each day when fruits are often limited low FODMAP. In this blog about eating enough fruit and veggies on the FODMAP diet, I share my tips.
Fruit is relatively low in calories, rich in fibers, and contains micronutrients that are good for your body.
Eating a variety of fruit and vegetables is also important for your gut health. So it is a good idea to try getting your 2 servings of fruit each day!
What is your favorite low FODMAP fruit to enjoy?
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen