Low FODMAP chocolate crinkle cookies
I’ve been wanting to share a cookie recipe with you at Christmas for a few years now. I love to bake cookies around the holidays. But I didn’t get to it in the last few years.
This year I finally got into the kitchen to bake Christmas cookies and I made these delicious gluten-free chocolate crinkle cookies.
What are crinkle cookies?
The name says it all: crinkle cookies are cookies with cracks in them. You roll these cookies in the powdered sugar before baking and because the cookies spread during baking, cracks appear in the powdered sugar layer.
This allows you to see the inside of the cookies in between and this creates a nice crinkle effect.
These cookies are soft and super fudgy. They are brownie-like cookies with a delicious rich chocolate taste.
What do you need for gluten-free crinkle cookies?
The ingredients for these cookies are simple:
- Gluten-free flour mix: for these cookies I use the baking mix that I almost always use for baking recipes: Schär Mix It Universal. You can also use a mix with similar ingredients. Such as Doves Farm Freee plain flour.
- Xanthan gum: xanthan gum helps to make gluten-free dough more elastic and easier to handle. In addition, it ensures a less dry and crumbly end result.
- Cocoa powder: The cocoa powder gives these cookies the delicious rich brownie taste.
- Baking powder
- Sunflower oil
- Granulated sugar and icing sugar: to get the nice effect on the cookies, roll them in icing sugar before putting them in the oven.
With these cookies it sometimes happens that the sugar melts a bit and dissolves after baking, so that you see less of the crinkle effect.
On the Sally’s Baking Addiction website I learned that you can first roll the cookies in regular granulated sugar before rolling them in icing sugar. These handy tips will keep your crinkle cookies nice and bright white!
This recipe makes 20 gluten-free chocolate crinkle cookies.
How long can I store the cookies?
Store the cookies in a sealed container. Then they stay good for a week. You can also freeze them in a sealed container. Then they stay good for up to 3 months.
Can I use a different type of flour?
When baking gluten-free, preferably choose a gluten-free flour mix, such as the one from Schär Mix It Universal. Other similar flour mixes also work.
Flour types such as almond flour and coconut flour will not work for this recipe, as they have a completely different composition. I would also not recommend buckwheat flour, because it has a very present taste.
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP chocolate crinkle cookies? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
A simple recipe for low FODMAP chocolate crinkle cookies. Delicious brownie like cookies. The perfect Christmas cookies. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) sunflower oil
- 150 g (3/4 cup) white sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 140 (1 cup + 1 tbsp) gluten-free flour mix (I use Schär Mix It Universal)
- 60 g (1/2 cup) cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g (1/4 cup) white sugar (for the layer around the cookies)
- 50 g (1/2 cup) powdered sugar (for the layer around the cookies)
- Mix the sugar and oil in a bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time and stir with a whisk.
- Place gluten-free baking mix, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir. Sieve this over the bowl of wet ingredients.
- Stir everything together with a spatula.
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F).
- Roll the dough into 20 balls.
- Take two plates. Sprinkle 50 grams of granulated sugar on one plate and icing sugar on the other.
- Roll each ball first in the granulated sugar and then in the icing sugar and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Make sure there is at least 2 cm between each cookie.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Waiting time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: gluten-free chocolate crinkle cookies, low FODMAP chocolate crinkle cookies, low FODMAP crinkle cookies, lactose-free chocolate crinkle cookies
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!