A delicious low FODMAP chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for Valentine’s day! To share with your partner, family or friends. Also gluten-free.
For the chocolate cake
- 180 g (1 and 1/2 cup) gluten-free flour
- 60 g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g (1 cup) butter, softened
- 250 g (1 and ¼ cup) white sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- A 23 cm cake tin
For the chocolate frosting
- 100 g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate
- 100 g (3/4 cup) icing sugar
- 50 g (3.5 tbsp) butter
- 4 tbsp water
- Optional: decorative hearts or sprinkles (check the ingredients for FODMAPs)
The chocolate cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350F). Line the baking tin with baking parchment and grease the sides.
- Put the butter and the sugar together in a bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix in between. Add the vanilla extract and mix together.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together. Add this to the butter-sugar mixture little by little while you keep mixing constantly.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin. Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Then remove the cake from the tin and put on a wire rack to cool down completely.
The chocolate frosting
- Melt the chocolate au bain-marie by hanging a glass bowl in a pan with hot water.
- Melt the chocolate on low heat. Turn off the heat when the chocolate has melted and
addthe butter. Stir until the butter has completely melted.
- Add the icing sugar little by little and continue to stir. Add the tablespoons water one by one and stir until you have a smooth frosting. You might not have to add all four tablespoons of water.
- Pour the frosting over the cake. Put some decorations on the frosting immediately and then leave to set.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins