Low FODMAP Chicken satay (peanut sauce)
Last week, I suddenly got the idea to do a barbeque in Asian style. In my opinion, Dutch barbeques are often pretty boring. Most barbeques that I went to in the past were always the same. The same standard choices: chicken kebabs, burgers, pork meat, bread with garlic butter and fruit salad. This is all good, but how much fun is it to do a barbeque with a specific theme? Like a country or a region. I love Asian food, so I went for an Asian barbeque. The first dish that I made is a dish that is often served on Dutch barbeques too: low FODMAP chicken satay.
Chicken satay is chicken kebabs served with a peanut sauce. In Holland, we feel like this dish is as Dutch as it can be, but in reality, it is Asian of course. A must-have on an Asian barbeque if you ask me! Later this week, I will share another BBQ recipe, so stay tuned! (Update: this recipe has been published, you can find the Asian salad here)
I never realised how easy it is to make low FODMAP satay sauce from scratch. In Holland, we are so used to buying satay sauce in the supermarket, that I never even thought about making it myself. Until FODMAP came around the corner of course. You only need 3 ingredients and water to make this delicious sauce!
This recipe is for 2 persons. You can easily double or triple the amounts if you want to make more chicken satay.
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP chicken satay? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a reaction and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
Low FODMAP chicken satay! Asian chicken kebabs with homemade peanut sauce to serve on an Asian BBQ. Low FODMAP, gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 200 g chicken breast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce)
For the satay sauce
- 150 g natural peanut butter (I used smooth peanut butter)
- 2 tbsp ketjap manis
- 1 tsp sambal (chilli paste)
- 100 ml water
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes. Put the chicken cubes together with the olive oil and the ketjap in a bowl. Stir together and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Put the pieces of chicken onto the skewers. Fry the skewers on the barbeque or in a grill pan until they are done (for me this took about 10 minutes).
- In the meantime, put the peanut butter, ketjap, sambal and 50 ml water into a small pan. Heat this up on low heat, while you stir regularly. Add the rest of the water little by little.
- If your sauce is too thick you can add a bit more water.
- Serve the chicken kebabs with satay sauce on top!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!