Low FODMAP chicken risotto with only 6 ingredients. Perfect for evenings where you don’t feel like cooking, but want comfort food. Gluten- and lactose-free.
- 320 g (1 3/4 cup) risotto rice
- 1 liter water (4 cups) + low FODMAP stock cubes
- 450 g (1 pound) chicken breast
- 300 g (2 cups) green bell peppers*
- 350 g (2 cups) canned mushrooms (Oyster mushrooms are also low FODMAP, so you can use those too)
- 75 g (1/3 cup) grated cheese + extra for garnish
- Pepper and salt
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- Optional: a cube of butter
- Make the stock by dissolving the broth concentrate into 1 liter of boiled water. I often use a little less broth concentrate than the package states because I don’t want the broth to be too strong in the risotto.
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes and the paprika too. Drain the mushrooms and rinse them well.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the rice. Stir until the rice becomes glossy.
- Add a large spoonful of stock to the rice. Wait until the stock has dissolved, while you stir continuously. It is important that you keep stirring all the time, if you don’t do this your risotto can burn. I speak from experience unfortunately, I have ruined several pans because I thought I could walk away from my risotto for a minute.
- Repeat this until you have used all the stock and the rice is soft.
- In the meantime, heat some oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until cooked. Season with pepper, salt and ground paprika.
- Add the vegetables to the chicken and fry for a few minutes until they have softened.
- Add the chicken and the vegetables to the risotto.
- Add a cube of butter and the grated cheese. Taste and season with some more spices if necessary.
- Divide the risotto over four plates and garnish with some extra cheese.
*Green bell pepper is low FODMAP up to 75 gram per serving. If you use 300 gram for the entire recipe this is a safe low FODMAP serving. Red bell pepper is low FODMAP in smaller amounts, so if you want to use red bell pepper, you can use a maximum of 43 gram per serving. If you know you tolerate fructose well, you can use some more red bell pepper.
- Prep Time: 30 min