Low FODMAP broccoli rice casserole
A hearty warm casserole, perfect for a cold autumn or winter day. That is this low FODMAP broccoli rice casserole.
How to make broccoli rice casserole
This low FODMAP broccoli rice casserole is made from scratch. I use a homemade white sauce as a basis. You make the white sauce with:
- Gluten-free flour: I use a basic gluten-free flour mix. Such as Schär Mix It Universal or Doves Farm Freee gluten-free flour.
- Lactose-free milk: I use gluten-free cow’s milk, but you can also use plant-based milk.
- Butter: butter hardly contains any lactose and is, therefore, safe to use on the low FODMAP diet.
- Stock cube: use a low FODMAP stock cube or stock powder to give some extra flavor to the white sauce.
- Grated cheddar cheese: stir into the sauce and sprinkle on top of the casserole.
Next to the white sauce, I put the following ingredients into the broccoli rice casserole:
- Brown rice: I use brown rice because it is high in fiber. You can also use another kind of rice if you prefer.
- Broccoli: broccoli heads contain a moderate amount of fructose at a serving of 240 or more. Therefore, I use 100 grams of broccoli per person for this recipe.
You can read more about broccoli and FODMAPs and the different FODMAP contents in different types of broccoli in this blog.
- Other vegetables: I like adding some extra vegetables to my broccoli rice casserole. So, I also add carrots and oyster mushrooms to the dish.
You can add extra low FODMAP vegetables to taste.
Vegetarian broccoli rice casserole
I made this casserole vegetarian and added only vegetables to this dish. If you prefer adding some meat to the casserole, you can add chicken.
Fry the chicken in a separate pan and stir it into the casserole when you add the vegetables.
Is this casserole healthy?
Many broccoli rice casserole recipes are made using canned soup, cheese sauce, cream cheese, or a lot of cheese. This makes generally makes it a dish that is quite high in calories and fat.
I tried to make this low FODMAP broccoli rice casserole healthier by using brown rice and adding extra vegetables.
Next to that, the white sauce is homemade with lactose-free milk and only a bit of butter. This makes this casserole relatively healthy.
Of course it does have some grated cheese on top, but I believe it wouldn’t be as nice without that 🙂Print
A delicious vegetarian low FODMAP broccoli rice casserole. Great as a side dish, but can also be eaten as a stand-alone meal. Made from scratch. Gluten-free.
- 150 g (5.3 oz) brown rice
- 1/2 low FODMAP stock cube or 1 tsp stock powder
- 200 g (7 oz) broccoli, in florets
- 1 leek, the green part only
- 150 g (5.3 oz) oyster mushrooms
- 200 g (7 oz) carrots
- 1 tsp butter
For the white sauce
- 30 g (3 tbsp) gluten-free flour
- 30 g (2 tbsp) butter
- 500 ml (2 cups) lactose-free milk
- 1 low FODMAP stock cube
- 2 stalks of spring onion, the green part only
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 25 g (1/8 cup) grated cheddar cheese for the sauce
- 5o g (1/4 cup) grated cheddar cheese for the topping
- Boil the brown rice according to the instructions on the package. Add 1/2 low FODMAP stock cube to the pan when you start boiling the rice and stir well. Drain and put aside.
- Boil the broccoli in a separate pan for 4 minutes.
- Cut the leek into rings and add these to the broccoli for the last minute. Drain and put aside.
- Brush the oyster mushrooms clean and cut them into small pieces. Clean the carrots and cut them into pieces.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms for about 3 minutes. Then add the carrots and fry for about 3 more minutes. Put aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 F). Grease the oven dish with a little bit of butter or oil.
- For the white sauce: cut the spring onion into rings and put aside.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan until it has melted. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring well.
- Add the lactose-free milk little by little and keep stirring continuously. Add the stock cube and stir well until you get a thickened sauce.
- Season the sauce with ground paprika, black pepper, and salt. Stir 25 g of cheddar cheese and the spring onion rings into the sauce.
- Taste the sauce and add extra ground paprika, black pepper, and salt to taste if necessary.
- Put the cooked rice, broccoli, leek, mushrooms, and carrots in an oven dish and stir well.
- Pour the white sauce on top and stir everything again.
- Sprinkle 50 g of grated cheddar cheese on over the oven dish.
- Put the casserole in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
If you eat this dish as a main dish, it is enough for 2 servings. If you serve it as a side dish, it is enough for 4-6 servings.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: low FODMAP broccoli rice casserole, broccoli rice casserole, gluten-free broccoli rice casserole, vegetarian broccoli rice casserole, broccoli rice casserole from scratch
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen