Low FODMAP boeuf bourguignon
A recipe for low FODMAP boeuf bourguignon. Delicious stewed beef from the slow cooker. The traditional recipe has been slightly modified to make it low FODMAP, but that doesn’t make it any less delicious.
This blogpost contains affiliate links. Read more about what affiliate links are and why I use them.
What is boeuf bourguignon?
Boeuf bourguignon is a beef dish from Burgundy. It literally means beef the Burgundian way. In this dish, beef is slowly simmered in traditional Burgundy red wine and stock.
Usually with mushrooms, bacon and onions and you can also add other vegetables, such as carrot.
I’m not much of a wine connoisseur myself, so I just used a red wine I had lying around at home. If you want to make a real boeuf bourguignon, you should officially use wine from Burgundy 😉
How to make low FODMAP boeuf bourguignon?
Most stew dishes contain a lot of onion and that is usually the case with boeuf bourguignon. I omitted that from this recipe and served the dish with spring onion greens instead.
This dish consists of the following main ingredients:
- Chuck steak or stewing beef
- Bacon, cut into pieces
- Red wine
- Low FODMAP broth
- A little bit of gluten-free flour: I use Schär Mix It Universal.
- Tomato paste
In terms of vegetables, I add the following vegetables to the stew:
- Mushrooms: I used a mix of oyster mushrooms and mushrooms from a jar, because these are the only types of mushrooms that are low FODMAP. You can also use either one.
You can also add other vegetables if you like.
I also use bay leaves, fresh thyme and salt and pepper as seasonings.
Making stew with and without slow cooker
With slow cooker
I made this dish in the slow cooker. I borrowed a slow cooker for a while and I became a huge fan of it. I ended up buying a multicooker myself, this is a device that is also a pressure cooker in addition to a slow cooker. And you can make a lot of different dishes in it.
I have the Crock Pot Express pot.
This one is slightly more expensive than a slow cooker because it has multiple functions. You can get a slow cooker quit cheaply. This one from Crock Pot for example.
It takes 6-7 hours to make this dish in the slow cooker.
Without slow cooker
Don’t have a slow cooker? Then you can also easily make this dish in a Dutch oven. Then follow the recipe as indicated, but in step 6 put the ingredients in the Dutch oven and bring it all to a boil.
Also add the bay leaves and thyme, then lower the heat and let the meat simmer with the lid on the pan for three hours. Then add the mushrooms and oyster mushrooms, as described in the recipe and let it simmer for another half hour.
Then your beef bourguignon is ready!Print
A delicious low FODMAP version of boeuf bourguignon made in a slow cooker! You can also make this dish in a Dutch oven. Gluten-free and low lactose.
- 1 kg (35.3 oz) chuck steak or stewing beef
- 150 g (5.3 oz) bacon
- 300 g (10.6 oz) carrot
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour (I use Schär Mix It Universal)
- 1 can tomato paste (70 g or 2.5 oz)
- 200 ml (7/8 cup) red wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) low FODMAP stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 stems of fresh thyme
- 300 g (10.6 oz) oyster mushrooms / canned mushroom (I used a mix of both)
- A cube of butter
- Pepper and salt
- Cut the bacon into pieces and fry for 5 minutes in a pan. Remove from the pan.
- Cut the meat into cubes of 2 by 2 cm (0.8 inch). Add them to the pan and fry until browned on all sides.
- Cut the carrots into slices and fry for a few minutes.
- Add flour and tomato paste. Stir through.
- Add the wine and the stock and stir everything together.
- Pour into the slow cooker.
- Add the bay leaves and remove the thyme leaves from the stems. Add to the stew. Stir everything together.
- Add the bacon as well.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and put on setting low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Clean the oyster mushrooms. Rinse the canned mushrooms and drain them.
- Heat the butter in a pan and fry the (oyster)mushrooms for about 5 minutes until browned. Add them to the slow cooker 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Taste the meat and season with pepper and salt if necessary. Remove the bay leaves.
- Great to serve with a salad, some fries, potatoes or rice.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 7 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: gluten-free boeuf bourguignon, low FODMAP boeuf bourguignon, boeuf bourguignon, slowcooker boeuf bourguignon
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.