Since the update came that a small amount of apple (20 gram per serving) is low FODMAP, I have only shared one recipe with apple on the blog. These low FODMAP apple crumble bars. Now that we are in the middle of autumn and the combination apple cinnamon tastes extra good, I thought it was time for a new recipe. With apple ánd cinnamon. I made low FODMAP apple cinnamon muffins!
These muffins are super simple to make. You mix all ingredients together, add the pieces of apple and within 10 minutes you put the muffins into the oven. Then all that’s left is being patient for 20 minutes and then there are delicious muffins waiting for you!
What about apple and FODMAPs?
Apple is very limited low FODMAP. 20 gram apple per serving is low FODMAP. In this recipe, one muffin contains 16 gram of apple, so one muffin per serving is a low FODMAP serving. If you eat more than 20 gram of apple, apples are high in sorbitol and fructose and that can cause symptoms if you are sensitive to these groups. It is therefore important to stick to the serving size of 20 gram if you are still in the elimination phase or if you know that you react to sorbitol and/or fructose.
20 gram of apple is not much, but you can make something nice with it. These muffins are the proof of that :)
This blogpost contains affiliate links. This means that I will get a small compensation when you buy something through one of these links. This doesn’t cost you anything extra, but you help Karlijn’s Kitchen with it!
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP apple cinnamon muffins? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
Delicious low FODMAP apple cinnamon muffins! Prepared within 10 minutes, super simple. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 300 g (2.5 cups) gluten-free flour (I use Schär Mix It Universal)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 120 g (1/2 cup + 1.5 tbsp) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) lactose-free milk
- 100 ml (3.4 fl. oz.) sunflower oil
- 200 g (7 oz) pink lady apple (about 1.5 apple)*
- Optional: cinnamon sugar
- A muffin baking tin
- 12 paper baking cups
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 F).
- Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and stir together.
- Put the wet ingredients together in another bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir shortly until everything has mixed.
- Cut the apple into small cubes and stir into the batter.
- Put 12 baking cups into a baking tin. Divide the batter over the cups and fill them until right under the rim.
- Sprinkle the muffins with some cinnamon sugar.
- Bake the muffins in the oven for 20 minutes. They are done when they are golden brown.
- Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Remove them from the tin and leave to cool down completely.
*Important: 20 gram of apple per serving is low FODMAP. Stick to the amount of apple mentioned in the recipe (200 gram) and weigh the apple. One muffin is a low FODMAP serving.
Storage: you can store the muffins for 3-4 days in a closed box. A little bit longer is also possible, but because gluten-free products get dry quicker, they taste best if you don’t store them too long. You can also freeze them. Wrap them airtight, then they will be good for about 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Baking
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 12
- Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 3
Keywords: gluten-free apple cinnamon muffins, low FODMAP apple cinnamon muffins, low FODMAP muffins, gluten-free muffins, lactose-free muffins
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!