A few years back, I would always turn my nose up for sweets that contained lemon. Fruity fresh lemon muffins or cakes? Nah, I’d rather have something with chocolate. Until I finally gave in and made a lemon drizzle cake. And wow what was I thinking! I fell head over heals in love with lemon desserts and now I can’t get enough of it. Who says you cannot alternate lemon and chocolate desserts, right! Today I have a delicious recipe for healthy low FODMAP blueberry muffins with lemon for you!
Lemon and blueberries just make such a wonderful combination. Especially when the weather is warmer, I love a sweet tangy lemon dessert. These low FODMAP blueberry muffins make a perfect snack.
Low FODMAP blueberry muffins: a healthy snack!
The low FODMAP blueberry muffins are made with gluten-free flour and have some lactose-free yoghurt added for some extra freshness. The muffins are only sweetened with maple syrup and they contain only 144 calories a piece. That makes a perfect afternoon snack if you ask me!
Are you a lemon fan like I am (or should I say finally became, haha)? Then be sure to also check out my other lemon desserts on the blog:
- Blueberry cheesecake with lemon
- Lemon curd crumble bars
- Lemon cake with frosting
- Naked cake with lemon and blueberries
- Healthy low FODMAP cheesecake with lemon
- Lemon drizzle cake
I based this recipe on this recipe from Amy’s healthy baking. I have adapted the recipe to make it low FODMAP and gluten-free.
Will you let me know if you make the healthy low FODMAP blueberry muffins? I would love it if you would share your thoughts with me!Print
Healthy low FODMAP blueberry muffins with lemon. A perfect low FODMAP snack! Only 145 calories. Gluten-free, lactose-free and sweetened with maple syrup
- 120 g (1 cup) gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 7 g (1/2 tbsp) coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 g (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- 60 g (1/4 cup) lactose-free yoghurt
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lactose-free milk
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 100 g (1 cup) blueberries
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the coconut oil, egg white and vanilla extract. Stir in the maple syrup and the yoghurt until you get a smooth mixture. Finally, stir in the lemon juice.
- Stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture until everything is just combined. Pour in the milk, while stirring. Fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter over six muffin cups and bake them 20-25 minutes in the oven. The muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean. Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, take them out and leave them to cool down further.
You can store the muffins for 5 days in the fridge or longer when you freeze them
You can also use frozen blueberries for this recipe. Just let them thaw before you use them. The frozen blueberries will give off some color on the batter, so your muffins will not have such a nice colour as when you use fresh blueberries. But they definitely won’t taste worse because of it!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Calories: 144
- Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 2
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!