Low FODMAP stuffed eggplant with minced meat
Firstly, I will apologise for leaving out a large bit of the ingredient that makes this recipe the most Turkish: a large amount of oil.
Therefore, this is low FODMAP karni yarik, but different. Turks love using olive oil in their recipes and this is usually also the case with karni yarik.
The eggplant is baked in a large amount of olive oil, which gives the eggplant that delicious softness. But they also float in a layer of oil and that doesn’t make the recipe very healthy.
I wanted to make a healthier version and a low FODMAP version and therefore, I left a large part of the oil out and I steamed the eggplants in the oven.
This makes them a tad less soft, but definitely still soft enough. The tomato sauce with the minced meat goes together well with the eggplant and the fresh yoghurt on top makes it a perfect dish.
Soft, creamy and fresh at the same time. So good! Did you know that karni yarik literally means ‘split belly’? Interesting name right 😉
Eggplants become moderate in FODMAPs at 182 g per portion. Therefore I would suggest to eat a maximum of 150 g of eggplant per portion.
You can eat the karni yarik as a side dish and serve some white rice or salad on the side.Print
Karni yarik is a delicious Turkish dish. A stuffed eggplant with minced meat, tomato sauce and fresh yoghurt on top. Gluten-free, lactose-free, low FODMAP.
For the stuffed eggplant
- 1 eggplant (max. 300 g)
- 200 g minced meat
- 50 g tomato paste
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pepper and salt
- (Fresh) parsley
For the yoghurt sauce
- A few large tablespoons Turkish yoghurt (use lactose-free yoghurt for low FODMAP)
- Fresh or dried mint
- A splash of lemon juice
- Pepper and salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390F). Cut the eggplant in half and use a sharp knife to carve a diamond pattern into the flesh of both halves. Then grease these sides with olive oil and put both halves in an oven dish. Bake the eggplant for at least 30 minutes in the oven. Check after 30 minutes whether the inside of the eggplant has softened enough, if not you can bake it for 10-20 minutes more.
- In the meantime bake the minced meat. Add the tomato, bell pepper and pureed tomato and flavour with some pepper, salt and parsley. Spread this mixture over the two eggplants halves and place them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Make the yoghurt sauce by mixing a few large tablespoons of yoghurt with a splash of lemon juice, some pepper, salt and fresh or dried mint. Serve the eggplant on a plate and spread the yoghurt on top.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Serving Size: 1/2 eggplant
- Calories: 352
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 27
Samen gaan we voor buikpijnvrij!
Schrijf je in voor de Karlijn's Kitchen nieuwsbrief en ontvang mijn gratis e-book met 10 onmisbare tips voor FODMAP beginners!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.