Low FODMAP healthy kapsalon (döner/shawarma, fries and cheese)
A what? Kapsalon is a usually very unhealthy dish (very tasty though) made of a layer of fries, döner kebab, melted cheese, salad en garlic sauce.
Kapsalon is the Dutch word for hairdresser. This dish got its unusual name because a barber in Rotterdam got bored of his usual order at the local shawarma/kebab place.
He asked them to make a dish with all his favourite ingredients in it and because he ordered it regularly it became known as the ‘kapsalon’.
As you might know, I love Turkish/Middle Eastern food. And even though the kapsalon originated in the Netherlands, it is based on Middle Eastern food.
The bad thing is that it is so incredibly unhealthy and fatty. The last time I ate it, I was already following the FODMAP diet. I had a ‘whatever’ moment and ate a few bites of kapsalon.
Well, I paid for that. The combination of onion, garlic and loads of fat was a drama. I never such bad stomach pains and cramps in my entire life. Next to that, I simply don’t feel good eating something that unhealthy.
An average kapsalon contains about 1800 calories per portion! Therefore, I am even more enthusiastic about my healthy kapsalon. I honestly think it is just as good as the original kapsalon, while this one contains less than 1/3 of the calories. WIN!Print
A recipe for healthy kapsalon! Döner/shawarma, fries, melted cheese and salad. Usually about 1800 calories, but now only 485. Win!
- 150 g potatoes (as you might see from the pictures, I have used sweet potato. Sweet potato is low FODMAP up to 70 g per portion, so therefore I don’t advise using this unless you tolerate it. I have tested it myself and can have larger portions, therefore I use sweet potato).
- 100 g chicken thigh fillet, in pieces
- 2 slices of cheddar (make sure you use a low FODMAP version, I explained more about this in the burger recipe), another kind of cheese is also possible.
- Iceberg lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 50 g cucumber
- 1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lactose-free yoghurt
- A splash of lemon juice
- A small aluminium oven dish
For the chicken spices
- Ground cumin
- Chilli pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees Celcius.
- Rinse the potato and cut it into fries (i left the peel on). Put the fries on a baking tray covered with baking parchment and sprinkle with a bit of salt and olive oil (or baking spray). Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat some oil or baking spray in a pan and fry the chicken until it is done. Sprinkle with the chicken spices, to taste.
- Take the fries out of the oven and put them into the aluminium dish. Put the pieces of chicken on top and on top of that two slices of cheddar.
- Lower the temperature of the oven to 180 degrees Celcius and put the dish in the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- In the meantime, mix the yoghurt with the mayonnaise, some salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cut the tomato and cucumber into thin slices.
- Take the kapsalon out of the oven and put iceberg lettuce, tomato and cucumber on top. Finally, sprinkle the yoghurt-mayonnaise on top and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 485
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 36
- Protein: 33
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.