Low carb egg wrap with goat cheese
Today I have a delicious and healthy lunch recipe for you. An egg wrap! I have never shared my basic recipe for a low carb egg wrap before, so it is about time that I do that.
This recipe makes a low FODMAP egg wrap. The wrap is also gluten-free, lactose-free, low carb and suitable for the keto diet.
How to make an egg wrap?
Making an egg wrap is super simple. You whisk 1 egg and 2 egg whites together in a bowl and season this with pepper and salt.
If you like you can also add a splash of lactose-free milk, but this is not necessary.
Then you heat some olive oil in a pan and pour the egg mixture in. Make sure you spread the egg over the pan well. Fry the egg mixture on one side for 2-3 minutes.
If you notice that the egg sets and the sides loosen from the side of the pan, you can flip the wrap. After that, you fry the egg wrap for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
That’s it! Then your egg wrap is done and you can put toppings on it.
Egg wrap toppings
You can top the egg wrap with anything you like. For my egg wrap, I used: smoked meat, goat cheese, tomato and a little bit of avocado.
Note that goat cheese is not lactose-free. If you have to eat strictly lactose-free, you can better skip this.
For the low FODMAP diet goat cheese is allowed because it only contains an average amount of lactose at servings of 250 gram or higher.
Monash University says that a smaller amount of goat cheese should therefore be tolerated by most people with a lactose intolerance. In this blog, you can read more about cheese and the low FODMAP diet.
Avocado is also limited low FODMAP. A serving of 1/8 avocado is low FODMAP. From a serving of 1/4 avocado and more it contains an average amount of sorbitol and this can cause symptoms.
If you have tested sorbitol and know that you tolerate it, you can use some more avocado.
More ideas for topping your low carb egg wrap
- Lactose-free cream cheese and salmon
- Homemade tuna salad and lettuce
- Cottage cheese, cucumber and lettuce (note that this is not lactose-free, cottage cheese is low FODMAP up to 40 gram per serving)
- Fried oyster mushrooms or canned mushrooms with bacon (oyster mushrooms and canned mushrooms are the only kinds of mushrooms that are low FODMAP)
- Ham, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and grated cheese
A healthy high protein lunch
This egg wrap makes a healthy and high protein lunch. The wrap itself contains only 102 calories and 13 grams of protein, without toppings.
You can eat two egg wraps for lunch and top them with a healthy topping. This is tasty low carb replacement for bread and also a great way to switch up your lunch recipes. This recipe is also suitable for the keto diet.
Will you let me know if you have made my low carb egg wrap? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
I would also love to hear what your favourite topping for an egg wrap is!Print
Low carb egg wrap
- Total Time: 10 min
- Servings: 1 wrap 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
This simple low carb egg wrap is a delicious and healthy lunch. You make a wrap with eggs and top it with everything you like. Low FODMAP, gluten-free, lactose-free and keto.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- Pepper and salt
- Optional: a splash of lactose-free milk.
- Toppings of your choice. I used: 6 slices of smoked meat, 20 g goat cheese, 1 tomato and 20 g avocado.
- Split two eggs. Put the egg whites and one entire egg together in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites and the egg together and season with pepper and salt.
- Optionally add a splash of lactose-free milk and stir through.
- Heat some oil or baking spray in a pan and pour the egg mixture into the pan.
- Fry the egg wrap for 2-3 minutes on one side. Then carefully flip it over and fry the other side for 2-3 minutes too.
- Top the wrap with toppings of your choice and serve!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 wrap without toppings
- Calories: 102
- Fat: 5
- Protein: 13
Keywords: low carb egg wrap, egg wrap, keto egg wrap, gluten-free egg wrap, low FODMAP egg wrap
We had a family debate over the meaning of:
“Split two eggs. For this recipe, you use two egg whites and one entire egg.”
I took this as meaning 2 x egg white and 1 x yolk! This means 2 eggs total. Others stated that it is 3 eggs total; with 3 x egg white and 1 x yolk.
I cooked the first option and it was delicious – filled it with soft cheese, avocado, salmon and ham.
Thanks for the recipe!
Hi William, I meant with this:
1x entire egg (yolk + white)
1x egg whites only
So you split two eggs for the egg whites that you need and you use one entire egg as well. Hope this clears it up 🙂 Happy to hear it turned out delicious anyway!
Thanks for clarification Karlijn 🙂