A delicious gluten-free roti with chicken masala, egg and green beans. With homemade gluten-free roti pancakes. Low FODMAP and lactose-free.
For the low FODMAP roti pancakes
- 150 g (5.3 oz) gluten-free flour mix – Schär Mix It Universal*
- 50 g (1.8 oz) teff flour or millet flour
- 50 g (1.8 oz) buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 200 ml (1 cup minus 2 tbsp) warm water
For the chicken masala
- 4 eggs
- 1 kg (35 oz) chicken thigh fillet
- 6 potatoes (about 600–700 gram / 21-25 oz)
- 500 g (18 oz) green beans
- 2 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 3 stalks of spring onion, the green part, in rings
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 stock cube**
For the roti sheets
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add water little by little while you knead the dough. Knead until you have a soft dough.
- Put the dough into a bowl, cover and leave to rest for half an hour in the fridge.
- Divide the dough into 10 balls.
- Put a sheet of plastic foil on the kitchen counter. Sprinkle some flour on top and put a ball of dough on the plastic sheet. Flatten and roll out into a small pancake.
- Don’t roll the pancakes out too tin because then you won’t get them off of the plastic foil anymore.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Put the roti pancake into the pan.
- Bake the roti pancake for two minutes on one side. If you see bubbles in the dough, you can flip the roti. Bake the other sides for 2 minutes as well.
- Repeat this until you have used all the dough.
For the roti
- Boil four eggs hard in about 10 minutes. Leave them to cool down and peel them.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into pieces.
- Cut the chicken thigh fillet into pieces.
- Cut two tomatoes in pieces as well.
- Heat the garlic-infused olive oil in a pan and fry the chicken thigh fillet.
- Add all spices to the pan and stir everything together.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour 400 ml (1 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp) water into the pan with the meat and add a stock cube.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and stir together.
- Put a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for 45 minutes on low heat.
- Add the eggs for the last 10 minutes of the cooking time.
- In the mean-time, clean the green beans. Cut the ends off and cut them in half. Boil for 8 minutes in a pan with water and a pinch of salt. Drain.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan and stir-fry the green beans together with the spring onion for a few minutes.
- Heat up the roti pancakes. Serve together with the chicken mixture and green beans.
*This is a mix made of mainly rice flour and potato starch. You can use a similar mix from another brand.
**Make sure it is low FODMAP. And gluten-free if you have to eat strictly gluten-free.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Surinamese
Keywords: low FODMAP roti, gluten-free roti, Surinamese roti, roti pancakes, gluten-free roti pancakes