Gluten-free Potato Croquettes
My Christmas dinners usually consist of different parts. A special fish or meat dish, several vegetable dishes and salads and usually a potato dish.
In the past, we used to eat ready-made deep frozen potato dishes that you had to heat in the oven, such as pommes duchesse, potato figures or potato croquettes.
Because I cannot eat these things anymore with the low FODMAP diet, I made pommes duchesse from scratch last year and this year I decided to try gluten-free potato croquettes.
Potato croquettes are made of mashed potato with a crunchy flour/bread crumb crust. They are deep fried in sunflower oil and in the Netherlands they are a very popular side dish.
I thought it was time to make them available for everybody, in a low FODMAP, gluten-free and lactose-free version!Print
Delicious gluten-free potato croquettes to serve as a side dish with Christmas dinner (or just for a normal dinner). Also low FODMAP and lactose-free.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 60 g butter (to make this recipe entirely lactose-free, you can substitute the butter with margarine. For the FODMAP diet, butter is fine)
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 3 eggs (for the breadcrumb crust)
- 150 g gluten-free breadcrumbs (I use them from the brand Consenza, which is sold in several European countries)
- 100 g gluten-free flour (I like Schär Mix It Universal)
- Pepper and salt
- 1.5 – 2 liter sunflower oil
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into pieces and boil them for 20 minutes until they are cooked and soft. Drain the potatoes.
- Leave the potatoes to cool a bit and mash. Stir in the butter, 4 egg yolks and two eggs.
- Season with salt, pepper and parsley. Use a bit more than you would usually do because otherwise, the mashed potatoes will taste quite bland. Put the potatoes in the fridge for half an hour.
- Whisk the three other eggs and put them into a deep plate. Put the flour and the bread crumbs both onto another plate.
- Make your hands a little wet and make balls in the size of a walnut from the mashed potatoes. Roll the balls into rolls. Put them on a plate.
- Roll the potato rolls one by one first through the flour, then through the egg and finally through the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan. Put the potato croquettes into the pan using a heat proof spoon. Fry the potato croquettes for about 3 minutes until they get a brown crust. Take them out with the heat proof spoon (don’t use a plastic spoon because it will melt) and put them onto some paper to drain. Serve directly!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Deep frying
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: gluten-free potato croquettes, low FODMAP potato croquettes
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.