Low FODMAP pulled pork, you’ll have to taste this! Delicious as a main or side dish, also for the holidays. Also with no slow cooker option. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 1 kilo (35.3 oz) pork shoulder
For the spices mix
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked ground paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
For the BBQ sauce
- 400 ml (13.5 fl. oz) tomato passata
- 40 ml (1.4 fl. oz) apple cider vinegar
- 50 g (1.8 oz) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp worchestershire sauce*
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix all the ingredients for the spice mix together in a bowl.
- Pat the meat dry with kitchen paper and rub it with the spice mix. Massage the mix well into the meat on all sides.
- Cover the meat and put the meat in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day: heat a teaspoon of butter in a pan and fry the meat on all sides for a few minutes, so that it is seared.
- Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Then mix 5 tbsp barbecue sauce with 100 ml (3.4 fl. oz) water in a bowl and pour this over the pork shoulder after you have placed the meat in the slow cooker. Set the slow cooker on high for 5-6 hours.
- After this you can pull the pork apart with two forks.
- Check the text above the recipe for some tips on how to serve the pulled pork.
One ingredient you might have noticed is worchestershire sauce. This sauce contains onion and garlic. But Monash University has tested this and it is low FODMAP up to 2 tablespoons. That’s why I use it in the barbecue sauce. If you prefer not to use this, you can replace the worchestershire sauce with 1 tsp soy sauce with 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar and 1/4 tsp sambal (red pepper paste).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Waiting time: 1 night
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slowcooker
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: low FODMAP pulled pork, gluten-free pulled pork, lactose-free pulled pork, slowcooker pulled pork